View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2015, 07:30 AM
Allowed in Sales
Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Just a little update, testing has gone extremely well. It was given a baptism of fire in a competition in the US the other week and worked perfectly.

The US is a great testing ground for these devices because they have a different situation than the UK, they shoot at both sub12 in WFTF Division and at 20fpe in Open Division so their targets have to work at both power levels.

That's not an easy thing to achieve reliably - if you set a target up to work for sub12's there's a chance that a faceplate strike from a 20fpe gun can 'rattle' the target over, so they often set their targets up to be a little bit tougher to take down and that can cause problems if you happen to have a splitter with a sub12.

That often results in lots of disputed targets in a match and most of those are by the sub12 WFTF crowd.

These have now been officially adopted as the official testing device for the WFTF and more recently (yesterday) by the BFTA.

I'm making 8 for the WFTF and 8 for the BFTA, but I don't want to be the only person who's able to make these so I've made the design and the source design files (Solidworks) public domain. I've basically given the design away for free for anyone to do whatever they like with. I've also included full instructions on how to make one and what spec spring it needs etc. I've tried to pick the non-3D printed components so that they should be readily available in every country in the world (the WFTF currently has 37 member countries and we have more asking to join every week!)

3D printers aren't that common at the moment, but in the next few years they'll be a lot more common, HP and Epson already have plans to start mass production of home 3D printers and it won't be long before every school in the country has a 3D printer and it's predicted that within 5 years 40% of homes will have one too!.

If you already have a 3D printer or have access to one, or if you're just interested in looking at the 3D models, you can view them on the project page for the checker (you can view the parts in 3D on most desktop browsers, so you don't need special software to view them).

It's public domain, which also means that anyone can make updates to the design and submit them to be incorporated in the main design files.

I will be making some and charging 30 each for them, but since I have so many to make at the moment I'm not anticipating taking orders, I'll just churn some out and when I have spares I'll offer them up on here for clubs to buy. But if you know someone with a 3D printer, you could make your own. I don't intend on having a monopoly on making these, that's why I've given the design away for free.