View Single Post
Old 9th November 2015, 11:39 AM
Reformed Bandit
Member of: Millride FTC

Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
In a perfect world I'd agree with you, that 40 instead of 30 'could' help the lower grades.. but this is where the world isn't perfect. You're basing your percentages on the 40 targets in the MFTA league and assuming that the only difference between the NEFTA wl and the MFTA wl is the number of targets.

It's not though, sadly some of the course setters in NEFTA don't seem to understand the concept of a balanced course and I fear that what you'll end up with is 40 targets where hardly any full kills are below 40 yards. If that's the case then you're more likely to drive new shooters away than encourage them.

I enjoyed shooting the Ponte40 but it didn't escape my notice that considering we had an extra 10 targets, there weren't more gimme's thrown in.

When you look at the stats for C grade (the grade you used to concentrate your stats on before you made B grade ) half shot above average at Ponte40 and half shot worse - so not really conclusive.

Young Katie put in her worst score of the season so far on at Ponte knocking over less targets than she has in previous 30 target courses despite there being an extra 10 of them to have a go at.

The wind was very strong on Saturday when the course was being finalized and as a result I'm told that they pulled some of the targets in closer to take account of the wind.

So my worry is that given 40 targets to play with the tendency will be for clubs to just put out another 10 GP difficulty targets to further challenge the AA grades but do nothing for the lower grades other than discourage them.

You said yourself that the NEFTA courses are harder than the MFTA courses on the whole and the reason for that is that the MFTA have got the balance about right for setting out a course for everyone (not just the AA's)

Perhaps we need to adopt some course setting guidelines? The distance range for 40mm kills is 10 yards to 55 yards - why do we only seem to set courses where the limit is 40-55 yards for full kills with a very occasional sub 40 yarder thrown in for good measure?

All of that doesn't get away from the difficulty of reduced daylight and having to set targets out and pack them away in time though. I simply don't think that 40 targets is going to be workable for every club in the region.
Have to agree with the above
When I was 5 I wanted to be like George Best
At 10 I wanted to be Nigel Mansell
At 40 I wanted to be like Tiger Woods
At 50 I want to be like Gilly
Just shows how life can kick you in the nads