View Single Post
Old 27th October 2015, 08:52 PM
Allowed in Sales
Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Originally Posted by Ceathreamhnan View Post
I'm slightly surprised to hear Brian say 'we've no real way of checking targets in a competition other than with fingers etc', surely he's heard that Pete Dutton has been making and supplying sprung target checkers calibrated at one ftlb energy for ukahft and other events for years?
'We' being the WFTF

This is for the "World Field Target Federation" to be used in the 37 countries in the Federation.

I've seen Pete's target checkers, although I've never examined one or even held one it's the fact that they're used in the UKAHFT that give me confidence that the idea might work for the WFTF too.

I also understand that Pete's production run's on his target checkers are limited (he's a busy chap) and with the likely demand coming in from 37 countries around the globe I didn't feel it was fair to suggest that Pete should make them all and I'm sure he wouldn't want to either.

So part of the idea of this project is to allow anyone to make one for themselves for about 8 in parts and no international postage.

it's just a horrible looking prototype at the moment, but now I have confidence in the device I'll give it a make-over to make it a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

There will be 7 or 8 3D printed parts, the STL files for printing together with the source Solidworks design files will be "open source" meaning anyone can download them, anyone can print them and in addition anyone can edit the designs and if they like contribute to the further development of the device.

There are some non-3D printed parts, but these are easily sourced around the globe and readily available at little cost. Couple of spings (one from a ballpoint pen) a few nuts and bolts and a length of 4mm steel bar.

The 3D printed parts are designed to be printable without support structures on a low cost home 3D printer - you can literally press print, take the parts off the printer while they're still warm and with no further finishing required bolt the thing together.

That's the idea anyway