View Single Post
Old 21st October 2015, 06:19 AM
Member of: ETL / TEGC

Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Cor, cant we go back to smoking? How about smoking kneeling shots over the chrono?

Slings have been done to death. Some want to see them banned entirely. Some want to see them used as single point as intended. Some don't want single point because it's a field sport and not an 'indoor' sport. I believe the BFTA has seen proposals to ban them in the past few years, it didn't happen. While opinions do change over time i'm not sure we need to keep battering the walls down with the same proposals or proposals going back to another position year after year. Because the next meeting will see a reversal proposal, I can bet good money on that.

Allowing one item to be added and detached from the rifle opens up the issue of other things being attached or detached. I've seen a 4" metal stud protruding from the shoulder before, which the butt was placed onto and bolted to, for standers... good grief.

So if it's on the gun it stays on the gun. If it's on the body, it stays on the body. That keeps things simple. And doesn't tie up really valuable committee time up and down the country and in the BFTA meetings. We're all different, we all won't agree on everything all the time.

Perhaps we should have a thing like parliament where we refer the right honourable to minutes of previous meetings?
Rob, while I agree that it's a pain in the butt to debate, it seems obvious that the correct use of single-point slings hasn't been debated properly otherwise we wouldn't be in the ambiguous position we find ourselves in.

According to earlier posts, it's not fully understood how a SP sling can benefit the FT shooter, so that is why we have the rule about keeping it permanently attached to the rifle and not to the shooter's arm as intended.

It seems to me that there is a few individuals who resist allowing proper usage of the SP sling as they see how well Simon Ayres does and feel that they will be left behind if it catches on and becomes an essential piece of equipment for the FT shooter.

This is very much a Luddite attitude and has no place in an ever evolving sport.

Just for the record, I've probably used a single-point sling more outdoors than indoors over the years, so it's not really exclusively an 'indoor' piece of equipment, not that makes any difference to it's use.