View Single Post
Old 8th September 2015, 09:57 PM
A grade and staying there
Member of: Tondu. Harriers, Avon Hawks. Oaktree.

Originally Posted by neilL View Post
$0.02 worth. There are two ways to look at "Grades". One is based on individuals and how they see themselves in relation to fellow shooters. The other is what this thread is about - National competitions with 5 different categories which we class as 4 Grades plus Open (and Piston .. 6 different categories ... what have the Romans ever done ... oops).

For me, my grade is my grade. A rough reflection of how I am doing? My points total is how I am doing against the others?

If you ignore individual variations and look at the scores for the GPs (sessions or day as a whole) it was clear that while AA was consistent there were several instances where A, B and C were clearly not showing distributions as they should be i.e. times where the B results were more like an A band, and times when you couldn't really say from the scores which band was which. Grades A, B and C were not showing the distribution of results which the bands should give.

For me that is as much down to the courses as anything. I think in the last couple of years a lot of the Gp courses have been too easy, usually through alack of wind. Then any Grade shooter with reasonable kit who can hold a cross hair in the kill and fluke a few standers and kneelers will poum in a good score, happens time and time again from experience in entering the scores!
Ok, some Gp went extreme the opposite way but it seems to me a few years ago Gp courses were harder. Bring back Sywell!

The bands could be changed but the problem is that the Grades based on BFTA plus Regionals have distorted the grades.

Not for most I believe, I am convinced most shooters are happy with what we have.
not broke (for most doing Gp), don't fix it.

To me, the Bfta only grade will distort far more.
Take this shooter

87.10 AA 93.7 85 86.9 85.7 84.2

One good AA score (BFTA shoot) and four border line, as is.
One poor Bfta day of 70% will see him in A grade? Is he an A grade shooter due to 1 shoot? (same can probably be found for other shooters in each grade)
Could be? Through no fault of his own? Conditions, equipment?
or perhaps if he fancies some trophies next year, through choice! to easy with just a few Bfta scores, as most would be for at least ayear and in some cases a few years.
There are many shooters who only do 1 or 2 bfta shoots a year! Could take years to get some out of a grade!
Thing is I know he can shoot very well when he wants to, he was joint top score at last years euro, came 9th in the worlds and semi finalist in the Showdown last weekend.
I don't think his Bfta Grade is really a true reflection of what he really is?
As grading officer I would want to move him up if his next Bfta score was a poor one, but I nor any one else would really have the option??

If you set aside the regional scores and base national competitions on national scores you have a much better chance that shooters of a similar level will be able to compete against each other. There will still be winners and anyone can still elect to compete in a higher grade.

Very Few C, B or A grade shooters wan to. They are on the whole working hard and feel their rewards are hard earned.
I in the majority of cases agree with them, well done on the effort you have put in to achieve better results, enjoy the rewards

Having just BFTA scores going to BFTA grades is very likely to be a lot easier than attempting to tinker with how regions set their courses or the number of competitors in regional events or the number of AAs in a regional event or ... etc.

Only once in hundreds of events over the last 4 years have I received a set of scores with no AA grade shooter entered, its not an issue

BFTA events are hopefully more consistent with each other and we will have much the same number of AAs attending which will provide the reference for course / weather / attendance.

The weather for Gp 2 and 5 was not very consistent, that had quite an impact on scores

National competitions need national grades. Otherwise, do not have grades at all but then the trophies will just go to the usual AAs and despite a nice day out and interesting courses and conditions it will just be a chance to meet up and swap ideas for the majority of shooters.

Almost a solution? Its been said lower grade shooters like the trophies? So why are so many not collected?
I like the idea of no grades ( I'll sack myself) and yes it would mean AA take all. So how about no prizes for winning other than the glory?
Put all the cash into raffles prizes, every one has an equal chance of winning a prize?
I think those at gp 6 liked the fact we had 7 9or was it 9) 50 raffle prizes, more went away with something.
Do you shoot for prizes? I don't really, nice if there but a great days shooting is priceless
maybe that's just me?

Perhaps folks should ask themselves how they would feel if there were no grades at all which is the case for so many other sports - gold, silver, bronze and nothing for anyone else? So just like the Worlds then? Folks will still go for the pleasure (and pain) of trying their skills on demanding courses.
Yep. Just me again lol

Chronos, kneeling, Am v pm, now grades lol

BFTA Grading Question to

Updated Bfta % by region and grade,44.0.html

[B] [SIZE="3"]Photos on BFTA Fbook page, tall and short !!