View Single Post
Old 30th August 2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tench View Post
Hi, it was not my barrel, just a job I did for someone, they were pleased with the results!
the problem we are up against these days is most of the gun manufacturers are now run by accountants who know nothing about the product! Originally manufacturing companies would have been started by gunsmiths who had passion and enthusiasm for what they were making, sadly as things move on the founders ethic is lost and new owners priorities change! It seems nowadays they just want your money, when they have it their job is done!

Quality these days is probably measured in how many returns for rework they get rather than excellence of design performance and accuracy!

Who mentioned design? don't start me off on that one! Another major flaw these days is rifles are designed on computer, or should I say drawn, the components are made and the rifle assembled, if it works it goes out the door! The manufacturer will spin you a load of bull about development and testing when in reality the moment it works it is in the shops because doing it any other way is less profitable, and as we experience all too often the word "works" has a different meaning to them and us!

I will stop there or this will be a very long post!!
I suspect the recipient was happy with that barrel - looks very nicely finished; especially in comparison to the crap I've had!

I totally agree with what you're saying about design and manufacturing quality (and the dubious role of marketing); without wishing to go off on a rant either it certainly doesn't look like the consumer is getting a better product as time marches on - quite the opposite in fact

Over the decades I've been involved with airguns one thing has become painfully apparent to me - "good" guns can be a very rare thing, so if you have a decent one that shoots straight and reliably does everything it should - hang onto it like grim death!

Last edited by cloverleaf; 31st August 2015 at 11:04 AM.