View Single Post
Old 12th August 2015, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the replies guys

For once I was really only after a few experiences to compare to my own, but I appreciate all the suggestions. As POI mentions I have a thread over on AGF detailing my experiences with this rifle (and a few others) up to a point - I've now replaced the barrel and accuracy is just as poor, however I'm in the process of speaking to the distributors so will hold my tongue on current proceedings until the they've had a chance to have their say.

Originally Posted by frank View Post
I have a full length hw100 in .177, accuracy is fine, almost single hole groups at 30 yards if i am steady enough,the barrel does not like cleaning very often and i just put six felts through it when i start getting the odd flier,
it is pellet fussy and it is important to find a pellet it likes and stick with it,
mine likes jsb exact 8.44 grain in 4.53 head size, 4.52 head size and it is like a shotgun,
yours however may like a different pellet?
Thanks - sounds like the exact opposite to mine, pellet sensitivity notwithstanding. I've tried a good range of quality pellets through it (most JSB offerings plus H&N, RWS, Bisley...) and it's pretty consistently poor across all of them.

The best pellets through the current barrel are 10.34gn Daystate FT Heavies (JSB Exact Heavies), which over 4x10 shot groups averaged 14.6mm c-c @ 35yd, which I don't think is at all clever.

Tbh given the abysmal quality of the crown and finish of the bore, I think I'm wasting my time with whatever pellets I test.

Originally Posted by OzzyJ View Post
Mike, you are welcome to borrow my hw100T to compare but you would have to pick it up from aylesbury as my righthand is in a cast after a bike accident at the minute so i cant drive and wont be up the club this weekend otherwise i would have left it with Graham
Thanks Oz - sorry to hear that you've been incapacitated and I very much appreciate your generous offer

Really though I'm past caring with this rifle; I already know what a decent PCP should achieve (and this isn't it) and just want to get the rifle grouping acceptably so that I can move it on in good conscience, as I've absolutely had enough of it..

Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
Try Exact express, and have a look at the batch number on the tin of Exact you are using if it ends in 15, try another batch, it's very possibly the pellets!
Thanks for the suggestion - while Air Arms Express ('13 vintage!) are the default pellet for most of my guns, the '100 really doesn't care for them (an average of nearly 18mm c-c over 10 shots at 35yd).

Originally Posted by Tench View Post
Have you tried a different scope? I have seen many peoples accuracy issues be down to the scope not being parralaxed correctly or they have set the px number on the scope to match the target distance but the scope has not been calibrated very well resulting in errors caused by eye position. I friend has just bought an new AO Panarama which is like this, he had to tape over the markings and re-mark it correctly by manually focusing it each distance.
Thanks for the thought - the gun has had a number of different scopes fitted and has been consistently poor with all of them. I'm currently using an EB 6-24x42 and while I can't say 100% that the PX was bang on, it's been mounted on other guns with no problems and even if I was a little out, I doubt it would account for some of the massive groups I've been getting..

If / when I test the gun again I'll get it in a rest and move my head around while viewing the target to ensure there's no PX error, though!

Originally Posted by what barn door View Post
My HW100 is pretty damn accurate, the stock lets it down as I find it difficult to return to the same position each time and as tench mentioned, that's when small amounts of parallax error creep in. For the record mine preferrs H+N over jsb or AA.

Another plus side, once you get rid of that goop they cover it in is that the regulator is about the best (as factory fitted) that I have come across. AA could learn a thing or two!

Thanks and good for you

Yes, I'm no fan of the stock either.. buying it was definitely a "head over heart" decision for me; one that the head is now regretting! I've tried FTTs and Sniper Mediums through the latest barrel; giving average c-c groups of around 16 and 18mm respectively at 35yd.

I agree about the technical side of the gun (basically the reason I bought one) - they're great to work on and set up, well thought-out, have an excellent trigger.. means sod all if it feels like shouldering a cricket bat and you can't hit a barn door with it though!

Originally Posted by Gar73 View Post
I have just bought a new .22 hw100kt. Using h&n ftt individually weighed at 14.5g it is shooting 589 to 599fps over a full fill giving 90 shots. I hope it drops a little.

Accuracy wise at 25 yards average group sizes are 4mm ctc. It will basically one hole. At 35 yards its 8mm ctc and at 55 yards 12mm ctc on average.

Accuracy drops off after 350-400 pellets but a quick vfg felt pulled through with barrel cleaner has it straight back to normal. It does seem to get dirty quickly it might be better using 5.51 pellets more so than the 5.53 h&n ftt pellets but they shoot so well I don't mind cleaning it every tin or so.

Hope you get yours sorted.
Thanks - can't complain with group sizes like that - especially from a .22. Sounds like you got a good one. I wouldn't mind cleaning either, but the gun's performance is pretty poor when clean!

Originally Posted by POI View Post
Lots of good stuff that doesn't require repeating
Thanks for taking the time to write all that - it all sounds very familiar!

I agree totally about the barrel quality being the apparent issue, and have done much the same as you as regards tweaks (polished, non-AT striker, floating barrel in retained band, tested with and without mod).

I agree about the stock to action fit too (although am still using the original stock) - very poor in my experience!

I'm glad to hear the gun is grouping better now, although I can't think of any rational explanation for the POI shift, though. I appreciate the point about the pellet probe, however I'm not sure how valid this might be. That said, if you watch the probe from the top as you push the lever home there's certainly some lateral play / movement - perhaps this might be causing an issue?

I too have considered lapping the barrel; tbh as far as I'm concerned the old one is as good as scrap, so I might have a crack at some point. Were I in your position and keeping the gun I'd simply be inclined to swap the barrel for a better quality item (the cost of the barrels says a lot IMO - about 2/3 the price of an MPR item and 1/4 the price of a Steyr tube).

Thanks again for your input and good luck getting it sorted. Keep us informed

Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Just off to the shops to buy some more letters for the forum. Be back in a bit
Genuinely raised a chuckle, that

So, there we are - thanks again for all the replies. I won't knowingly sell someone a turkey so I'm seriously weighing up how much I'll get back if I break the POS and flog it piecemeal on ebay