View Single Post
Old 30th June 2015, 09:30 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
Hello NIck
sucking eggs tutorial coming up

that controlled friction idea crossed my mind briefly too with regard to pcp hammer bounce, where i think it's generally accepted now to keep friction and drag to a minimum, in order to achieve the widest spread of consistency

, the trouble with friction is that it's going to vary with temp.

so a "controlled " and consistent amount of friction to manage bounce etc is going to be difficult to achieve throughout the temp range and or a differing rate of shooting .

perhaps in a springer, it would be beneficial to use a low friction seal setup , which will give a wide range for heat expansion of the component parts, and try to control the bounce / slam /shot feel by another method......piston weight ( which will always stay the same )or perhaps the inertia weight principle that bigtoe was trialing.

i would suggest that for ft /hft ,consistency from shot to shot is the first thing to achieve and then try to adjust the shot feel afterwards

......completely ,and totally not intended to be condescending or patronising in any way .......

and failing probably
Shot to shot and temp stability is the big priority. Having a rig that's either inconsistent or varies POI just wrecks your head. There's people who have coped with that, and done well, but they are in the distinct minority... having the ability to spot the issue and correct very quickly for it. That's really hard to do with a springer... it's hard enough with a PCP.

It can be done. After years of struggling with the Walther with help from all sorts of people I ended up with a rig that was consistent, and didn't shift. I've got a scope that shifts, which is a pain, but I have learnt most of it's behaviour and it's only a pain if the temp sits around 25 degrees.

We know springers are accurate. We know they are also shot to shot consistent... once we cure this wandering POI, we can conquer the world!

Fwiw, the tx hasn't moved (that I can see) in either tuning guise... standard mk3 or Nick's internals. I've seen some shots land where I thought they shouldn't, but next shot has always gone where I thought, so i've put that down to me. I find her harder to shoot than the 97 either way. Dunno why.

Internal bits are in the post...
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep