View Single Post
Old 17th June 2015, 08:39 PM
Member of: Purley Chase ftc
Default For the bin

Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
I think it was 28 in the end, started off missing quite a few, and oxo'ing for a bit, clawed it back in the woods but had a run of double dinks towards the end. That's from memory, Shaun's got his card though. (This is his 2nd GP of the season btw)

We did our best to offer some advice, but it wasn't met with much enthusiasm sadly.

It does raise a question that I've wondered for a while though - why do we bother to define a Prone Position at all? Having some experience of shooting prone in my HFT years, the BFTA definition of prone is far less stable than a well practiced sitting position, course setters don't set courses to allow shots to be taken prone (far too much grass in the way at Millride GP).

It does beg the question, if our definition puts prone shooters at a significant disadvantage to the freestyle (sitting) position, and course setters don't cater for people shooting prone and if someone does shoot prone it draws a small crowd because it's so unusual, why do we even bother with a definition for it?

It might be interesting to shoot prone using a sling and prone shooting 3p jacket (oh and call a marshal out to every lane that hasn't been cleared for prone as per the rules ).
Maybe it needs removing from the game.
It was my understanding that all targets should be visible from all positions, very few clubs have the man power to prepare courses to allow this. I know that taking open class shooters into consideration on disaplines lanes has often been over looked.
When you set a standing lane it is natural to visualise the shot standing and easy to forget about sitting for the target.
Very few shooters use the prone position in very windy conditions to try for added stability , I don't think prone would be missed if it got dropped from the rules.
About as much use at field target , as a life guard at the Olympic swimming pool.