View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2015, 10:24 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Originally Posted by Ratinator View Post
This is how positions would be using an AM/PM session scoring system.
actual position
1st D. Eley 196 1st
2nd M.Hurst 192 4th
3rd I.Taylor 188 2nd
4th M.Basset 183 5th
4th D.Schofield 183 5th
6th J.Harris 182 9th
7th A.Gillot 181 10th
8th J.Osborne 179 3rd
9th A.Calpin 174 8th
10th A. Feket-moro 167 17th

For now I have only done AA top ten .
It is only to show how things would be affected in the event of a score being taken from the session you shot in.
Right, so we're binning talking about session grades now then?

Ok, so after a whole two grand prix, the top place is still stop place, and those in the trophies are no more than 1 place away from each other.... after two grand prix. The only person who has moved a great deal is Andras.

Questions Simon:

The BFTA spends several 1000 on trophies at the moment.

Now you have an AM & PM scoring system.

1) Everything is perfectly balanced until the last GP. AM Session high score in this last GP is 45. It's awarded 100% by the 2nd place man. PM session high score is 50. The shooter currently in 1st place gets 46, equating to 92%.

Now does that shooter who gets 46 lose the championship. And who does the 1st place for the day go to? Or are we about to double the trophy count?

2) At Avon Hawkes I was the only piston shooter AM. I assume i'd get the 100%. I missed GP2, and with dropped scores I would be joint 1st correct? Even though I came close to last on the day.

I really do get the idea that sessions can change the balance. That's one reason why I strongly offer the EFTA reps the opinion that the Worlds should not be done in sessions. However, in the event that you can't do just one session, there has to be more than one. The balance is that more shooters can attend. But unless you separate the sessions into separate competitions, there will always be a potential for inequality. You cannot change that. You can try all day long, but there will always be a circumstance where there's an apparent inequality.
Personally, I go with targets being hit as the guidance, in the same way the EFTA officially objected in Germany when a target was going to be pulled and everyone given a hit, because day 1 we would have had the top two places tied, with one shooter saying he plain well missed the target in question, and the other hitting it. The chap in question was most gracious in saying he would not like to win the title having hit less targets. That was a potential outcome.

Efforts are made as much as possible to negate the effects of different sessions or different courses, but unless you have one session, one course, with everyone shooting at the same time, then you have to accept that there's a random effect that can occur, and the best remedy is to flatten all 50... that is unless you use session scoring in which case you just make sure you're the only person in your grade shooting in your session, in which case hit 1, then sit back with a burger and watch your partners go at the next 24 lanes, because trophy or not, you've got your 100%.

It's not perfect, but often the best solution is the one that is the least imperfect. If you are going to think of an alternative, spend the time thinking about the potential problems, otherwise one can argue the idea is not been thoroughly thought through.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep