View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2015, 03:20 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Originally Posted by Yorkshiretea View Post
Rob for the record none of this is said with any heat in it, I'm chilling out with a brew but slightly miffed.

I use it for more than that, I work out raw hit averages and % (not shooter influenced), what I've done on kneelers/standers, what others in my grade are doing. Maybe you don't have an interest in it Rob but like me, we're not everybody. You may think it's pointless/useless but I can tell you for sure that most sports use it with sponsors on the info sheets and it also helps spin news and views. I can also tell you that reports and stat sheets are the most shared things on social media. So instead of seeing it as a dead weight just see it as a celebration of "the match" and key communication.

What would you rather do, the above or just put the score cards in dark room and not tell anyone about it? How does the sport grow and move to the next level if all you generate is one XL spread sheet a year!

The solution is better communication and how you present the data, at the moment we don't do anything other than a single list on one post that changes every month. Go and look at what other sports do and what the ISSF do, it works, you just have to do it properly. The data isn't the problem, the communication of it is.

Look how popular Shaun's reports and all the photographs are but we do so little reporting, it's a proper shame.

Clarity of message and direct communication can be done at club and via email, if you already have that data it's a ten minute job.

If you think that's too much work, then get and invite more people in to help.
Come on YT, the smiley face shows the meaning... i'd love to hit more targets, but I don't think the ability to throw the throttles forward is that easy to deliver on command, unless you're really sitting back, in which case, why look at the grades? Grades don't tell you anything and unless you can shift 30-40% on say 3-4 shoots then the change will be gradual.

Targets hit is a non starter... it takes no account for the difficulty of the day... wind, course, etc... kneelers & standers aren't on the grades, and your score tells you how you did on the day.

Scores are the celebration of the day. Grades aren't.

I don't understand why we keep bouncing back and forth between grades and scores.
  • Scores tell you where you ended up on the day.
  • Grades are for your prediction of the bracket of shooters you should be in for the season.

Any other meaning brought in is entirely subjective.

If you want to know how to do proper performance analysis, then we can have a chat about goal setting and training with my coach hat on, off the forum.

As for helping out with stories etc, that fine... the site does need updating and updating regularly. As I said when I built it, (as did the previous webmaster) I won't be the person grabbing and stocking the shelves all the time. 1/2 the problem is the banzai amount of formats people produce things in and the limited time they have for producing them, which is why forums work well, but less dynamic front pages don't. The official status of the site means we can't just take a feed from any old batshit forum like here either.

One thing i'd ask for is someone who's at the end of every BFTA shoot, who can use a computer and take a 1/2 decent shot, to be able to do that an post the results on the front page from the shoot itself (mobile data allowing), and then perhaps we can look to API's which punt it to FB and Twitter etc as well. But that first bit is lacking...
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep