View Single Post
Old 18th May 2015, 07:57 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
Ah right, thanks Rich

So.. as far as I can tell the HO issued a guidance note 17 years ago that said SA is not considered prohibited and at the first opportunity they intend to clarify the law etc.

Have the HO issued any updated guidance since then?

I'm not talking about someone had an email from them, or someone had a meeting with them and this is what they said etc etc... I'm talking about an official release of updated guidance. Has there been one?

Edit - Cheers Ray.. I'm specifically trying to avoid the whole conspiracy theory thing and stick to the Law and the HO Guidance. Those really are the 2 things that matter.
Don't know if it helps or not but here's the CPS view.

Home Prosecution Policy and Guidance Legal Guidance D to G Firearms

Air Weapons

An air weapon is defined, under section 1(3)(b) and 57(4) of the Firearms Act 1968 as:

"an air rifle, air gun or air pistol which does not fall within section 5 (1) (a) and which is not of a type declared by rules made by the Secretary of State under section 53 of the Firearms Act to be specially dangerous".

Any air rifle, air gun or air pistol which uses or is designed or adapted for use with, a self-contained gas cartridge system is a prohibited weapon: section 5(1)(af) Firearms Act 1968 e.g. a Brocock

An air rifle is "specially dangerous" if it is capable of discharging a missile so that the missile has, on being discharged from the muzzle of the weapon, kinetic energy in excess in the case of a pistol of 6 ft lbs or, in the case of an air weapon other than an air pistol, 12 ft lbs: Firearms (Dangerous Air Weapons) Rules 1969 rr. 2, 3 (Archbold 24-8a.)

Paintball guns are a type of air weapon. The Home Office regard self-loading or pump action rifled airguns (including paintball guns) as outside the scope of the Firearms Act, unless they are sufficiently powerful to fall within the category of a "specially dangerous" air weapon (Archbold 24.8a). Paintball guns could be considered imitation firearms.

Unless an air weapon falls within one of the above exceptions, it is not subject to section 1 Firearms Act 1968.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep