View Single Post
Old 12th February 2015, 01:50 PM
WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Originally Posted by verminator View Post
I think this is a bit harsh, I have been looking at the Hawke Sidewinder IR TAC 30 10x42 and the glass is better than the MTC 10x44 (more light). Field of focus is better and it suffers less from parallax problems compared to the aforementioned MTC. I think you are spoiled by optics that cost 4-5 times as much.

I am not seeing the off-center problem with mine. Perhaps it is worth mounting them optically centered. Finding where to put ones eye seems no more difficult either. It's not perfect of course; it's not true mildot and I would prefer to see some windage points in the reticle, but I may end up using this scope in competition.

The trend does seem to be going towards top-quality glass with smaller objectives. I recently looked through a MTC Viper Connect 3-12x24 at x8 magnification and I was blown away by the depth of focus and clarity. Everything in perfect focus from 8-40 yards. It's a pity they no longer illuminate the whole reticule. The .22 lead chuckers amongst us need about 3 mildots illuminated.
If you use the Tac and use CG to find a good setup and zero distance to give the aimpoints you want then put 9x mag in CG. I measured the mag in both those Tac's and presuming the dot spacings would be true mildot at 10x mag ( 1 dot equals 1" at 27.7 yards at 10x mag) then the Tac's are 9x mag, 1 dot measured 1" at 25 yards. This was with the ocular set for my eyes, ocular adjustment does have a small influence on magnification.

This is not a bad thing, 9x mag on a mildot ret is very useful as yards=mm @ 1 mildot, example, 25mm kill measures 1 dot at 25y and 35mm kill measures 1 dot at 35Y etc.
So if a 25mm kill measures .75 of a mildot the distance would 25y + 1/3, about 32.5Y. because .25 is a 1/3 of .75.
a 25mm kill measuring .6 of a mildot would be full distance at 40y, 25y + 2/3. .4 is 2/3 of .6
9x mag with a little maths can tell you the range if you can identify the kill size!!
HFT, for people with only 2 buttucks!

VooDoo TwoTwo The next chapter.

Last edited by Tench; 12th February 2015 at 02:00 PM.