View Single Post
Old 24th January 2015, 07:55 AM

I've already said that I would love a standard test. So I'm not against you.

How long have we as airgunners been asking for a standard test? The answer is many years and it hasn't happened. How long have you and Ray been asking for one? Have you got one?

Once again ... we hear from people, who we believe are in the know, that if we push for a standard test we may end up worse off. Ray, yourself and now Bri has suggested that they may not all have been totally truthful about the AT thing so I'm now willing to listen to alternatives on the test theme.

This 12fp law came in 46 years ago.

So for the last 46 years there have been thousands of guns in the UK that could be capable. They could all be tested as capable if they go to the Forensic Test Lab from hell where they make serious modifications to get them over. This is the lab that the police keep sending guns to because this is the lab that definitely makes them go over, so they can make more money. I'm not convinced that that is a totally realistic and balanced view to be putting across to a nervous airgun community.

So with all those rifles ( thousands ) in circulation, and 46 years, there is no great list of cases where people have done nothing wrong with their rifles ( or other ) but have fallen foul of the Demon lab and now all have criminal records. We keep getting quoted one off cases where we don't have all the details.

On this thread alone we have heard of one poster saying that he knew someone in a crash and their guns were taken and tested. Result ... guns returned as under power and no problem. Another guy had the police call in on him and his mate shooting in the garden. Result ... Take fellas ... no guns taken for testing. I personally said that I've had the police call in on me several times on my permission when some nosey neighbour has phoned. Result everytime ... Hi mate, just checking it's just an air rifle ... Result ... Sorry to have bothered you, take care ... no rifles taken for testing. So none of that is suggesting that the police are seizing guns left right and centre and the Demon lab is making them go over. Staffordshire Police Firearms told me that they are far too busy to worry about airgunners unless they are doing something they shouldn't.

Where is the evidence with thousands of rifles and 46 years of play to warrant the paranoia? Like I said ... the killer statement is ... but 'what if' it's you that is the one that gets that criminal record?

At the moment the two options are ...

Option A ... An airgunner wants to be absolutely 100% that his gun won't be randomly seized on permission or at a club, the gun sent to a Demon lab and made to go over, and he gets a criminal record. He's actually got more chance of being hit on the head from falling debris from the failed 1970 Apollo 13 space mission that has made it's way back into the atmosphere. If he still wants that certainty then his only option is to not own an air rifle until a standard test is in place. He may wait a long time.

Option B ... Set his gun to under 11.5fp and only shoot on private land/permission/club and make sure no pellets leave their boundaries, and accept that that is all he can do, and the chances of him getting a criminal record are so minimal that he needn't worry about it..

Make your own choice.

If you know how to get this standard test, and there will be no chance that we will be worse off, then let me know and I'm with you.

Last edited by skires; 24th January 2015 at 08:43 AM.