Thread: Anti-tamper
View Single Post
Old 6th January 2015, 01:35 PM
Member of: Rivington Riflemen

Originally Posted by Yorkshiretea View Post
Thing is Ray, you just won't accept the other side of the argument and I'd guess that you've never manufactured anything and tried to get it on the shelf in a commercial public facing site.

So let me spell it out this way:

Lawyer: M'Lud, Mr Smith walked on Air Gun Magic and purchased FTD MK17 2000 for 230 and with the turn of one small grub screw turned the rifle into an FAC 18ft rifle and that's what killed the small child. We not only hold Mr Smith reasonable but also Big Guns Ltd for not taking reasonable precautions to ensure their products complied with the law.

You are not everybody Ray.
I would guess that someone manufacturing anything would have as a prime requirement that their product complied with any legislation in the country it was being placed. For over 40 years (PCP's) air rifle manufacturers have placed their product on our market and expected us to buy it. The legislation pertaining to sub 12FPE air rifles has not changed in that 40 years. Many thousands of those air rifles made in the last 40 years are still out there.

I'll ask you the question again.

How does preventing anyone complying with the law protect them ?

All that's required of a manufacturer/RFD is that at the point of sale the air rifle must not be capable of more than 12FPE and it can be sold to a none licence holder. After that point it's the responsibility of the rifle holder.