View Single Post
Old 1st December 2014, 05:36 PM
Phil Gee
Member of: Millride

Originally Posted by EELS View Post
It will be interesting to see the take-up on this v the worlds in Lithuania...Spain v Lithuania...hmm...
This may be a common problem every-time the world's comes around to Europe but as EFTF are a sub-body of WFTF hopefully they'll work it out.

Personally, I'm all for it: The BFTA can't hold a monoploy on a 'European' competition. The fact it's done so for so long is a wonder in itself but to try to do so from now on will be a little bit sad and a tad silly. I know Estonia held it this year and no Brit's went - that I'm aware of - so maybe we can ignore that one but as its in Spain next year & if someone like Mr Costello goes out there and wins again (he won the last Eusakadi open), then I'm not sure anyone winning the same title at Weston Park can say 100% "I'm European champ..".

FT politics seems to be mirroring real world politics on this; will the BFTA do a UKIP & want to get out of Europe altogether?? or do a Tory trick and 'renegotiate our relationship with Europe'!? LOL

I may have a slightly biased view but to travel abroad, take on unfamiliar shooters from other nations, possibly under differing rules, conditions etc & still come out on top, will always be a far greater achievement than winning what is basically a two day GP.

Vive la difference!
I think it's a little disengenuous to suggest that the BFTA can't hold onto a competition that has been called the Euros for a couple of decades longer than many European RGBs have existed, and one that has, by common consensus, produced a winner that was considered the best in Europe. Add to that the fact that the competition was, and still is, open to anyone from across Europe, then I think it has every right to call it that.
There are no 'FT politics' from the BFTA. The creation and development of the European FT Championship is an exciting and welcome development that seems to be gaining momentum and, particularly when the worlds are held out of Europe, could quickly become a significant competition in European FT. As far as I know, it is nothing but welcomed by the BFTA.
Personally, I hope lots of GB shooters are able to attend in Euskadi, but if we are limited to a team of 8, using your reasoning, can the winner truly call themselves European Champion if Andy Calpin, Ian Taylor and the like are prevented from attending?
Personally, I think that if the European FT Championship in Euskadi is open to anyone that wishes to attend, and is more difficult than a '2 day GP', then the winner has every right to consider themselves a champion of Europe.

i nahi duzun arrakasta nire lagun Jesus guztietan
Steyr LG110FT | Big Nikko
Millride FTC