View Single Post
Old 1st December 2014, 09:59 AM
Allowed in Sales
Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Originally Posted by skires View Post
Bri ... or anyone else that tests until they get the right batch and then just uses from the tins ...

Once you have found this 'batch' ...

Do you then find that when you are practising pretty much every pellet hits where you'd expect, if you feel you have got the shot off right ...

... or do you still have ones that you are sure you got the shot off well but the poi is clearly off from where you think it should have been.

I totally get it that the top guys select good batches and then buy loads of those. They don't think that any further time beyond that is worth the trouble. I get that.

When you've then shot a 30 or 40 shot course with these pellets and maybe missed 4 or 5 targets ... are there any of those 4 or 5 that you just think ... Dunno what happened there ... that should have definitley gone down?

... or is it that the odd miss or two out of a known good batch just isn't worth the time trying to remove them ... and messing with the pellets to try and remove the odd miss may actually give more misses due to damage to the 'good' pellets?
Going a bit off topic from the subject of this thread now, but to answer your question honestly

Yup, using my selected batch of pellets every shot goes exactly where I'd expect it to go - IF I do my part and the wind doesn't throw me a curveball.

I do select pellets on the course though - I rely on my fingertips to do my pellet selection for me. If I thumb a pellet into the barrel and it feels too loose or too tight I'll often shoot it into the ground and load another pellet - I probably do this on average once or twice on a 50 target course.

One thing I've learned from shooting a springer is that it's not in the slightest bit forgiving of any errors in technique - in fact it's brutal!

If I make a bad shot from the sitting position, I'll pull the shot high and right, and if I make a bad shot from standing it'll go low and left and the difference between a good shot and a bad shot is very very subtle. In fact if I was shooting a PCP I probably wouldn't even notice the difference.

And that's kind of the point of this thread - there are very few shooters who are consistent enough to be able to put in flawless and consistent groups, and I'm not one of them. There's also a psychological aspect too, if you spend hours and hours on pellet preparation or if you spend 180 on a mega air stripper it's surprisingly easy to convince yourself that it's made an improvement. In fact just doing something that gives you more confidence that you'll be a better shot as a result, can actually have an effect on how well you shoot too.

A bit Zen I know, but I believe this... if you convince yourself that you're going to miss a target, you probably will. If you feel confident that you're going to make the shot you stand a much better chance of actually hitting what you're aiming at.

This is something that happens to me when I shoot groups - I don't know if I'm the only one?
I shoot a few pellets and get an absolutely mega group - like 3 pellets inside 6mm, pellet on pellet The next shot I'm thinking... I hope I don't screw this one up, a 5 shot group of 6mm would be brilliant!! and a 10 shot would be something I'd like to take a photo of to impress girls with at parties.. So I end up putting pressure on myself not to screw the next shot up. That pressure will have an impact on how well I shoot.

These factors come into play when you're using groupings to test whether something works or not, a downrange chrono eliminates these factors.