View Single Post
Old 19th November 2014, 07:58 PM
Default Lots of newbie questions

Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie to the HFT scene, and know nothing about anything but am really keen to learn.*

I've done a fair bit of research, though have been constrained by budget, and have bought an AA s410. I appreciate a magazine feed isn't perfect for HFT, but it was so cheap at 320 that I couldn't really resist it, and I figure I can always put a single shot adaptor in it (have seen the one from Rowan Engineering - are there any others?).

It's in a bit of a state cosmetically, though I believe shoots fine (or so I'm told - I haven't had a chance to shoot it as I live in the middle of Bristol. Am hoping to go down to Barbury this weekend to get more advice and do some plinking). *I'd like to get it re-blued - can anyone advise where I might be able to get that done at a reasonable price?

I've almost inevitably, I guess, ended up with a few questions. *Hope it's ok to ask them here...

1) it came with a scope that as far as I can tell is a Hawke Sport 3-9/40 AO Mil Dot. Now, leaving aside that mil dot makes me as baffled as Adam and Eve on Mothers' Day, I gather this is a budget scope? What would make more sense to get, as and when budget allows?

2) given it's zoom-able, but I couldn't alter it mid-comp, what's best to leave the magnification factor on?

3) how precious do I need to be about how solid the scope is on top of the rifle? I'm not talking about banging it around, but more should I expect putting the gun in a slip cover to knock it out of true/zero?

4) should I have a spirit level on my scope rail to avoid cant?

5) should I stick to one brand of pellet or for some one as inevitably hopeless as I will be when starting out, does it really not matter?

6) what's the point of moderators in HFT? I can't see much advantage in it, given the noise isn't *that* anti-social, and it's quite a weight to put on the end of a long lever. Surely it can't exactly help stability? (Of course, there might be none - the previous owner used it for vermin control rather than HFT, and it might be due to that...)

Huge thanks in advance, and sorry to ask so many daft questions...
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread