View Single Post
Old 12th November 2014, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dale View Post
To the best of my knowledge the colour of the breech block was not an option.

I understand that the finish was a satin chrome on the earlier 100 series rifles. It has been noticed that you can see the change from brass breech blocks to alloy as the chrome had a darker silver-grey colour on the brass with it being a lighter more silver-white over the alloy.

The later Shamal's had a black chrome finish on the breech blocks, I am not sure if AA also used black chrome on the 'Mk2' 100 series guns or whether they switched to black anodising.

That's interesting about the chrome (I always assumed it was anodising) and block material. Just out of interest, do you have any idea of the serial numbers these changes occurred at, or where the serials of the 100 series rifles started and finished?

I've never (knowingly) seen a 100 with a brass block, however I'd have assumed it was ally unless it was self-coloured. There's an NJR on Guntrader with serial 1193 (which seems pretty early to me) - the block on which seems darker in colour than my own rifle (1755) although that could just be the lighting.

There's also another L/H NJR on the same site with serial 1538 that has a black breech block, and I used to own no. 1814 which also had a black block. I suppose it's possible that the block on my current rifle has been changed to an earlier one at some point, for some reason..

Finally, you mention a Mk2 100 series - how do these differ from earlier guns?

Thanks again