View Single Post
Old 6th November 2014, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by TOOL View Post
Only thing that will help you in wind is experience and practice.
Granted your cannon has to be reliable and deliver consistency but forget all your graphs , pellet scales and gadgetry , the slug needs to suit the pipe or your wasting your time.

Just ask Wagger .................
That was the angle that I was coming from really ...

I wasn't saying that everyone should go out and use heavies and will do better in the wind.

I was saying that in my rifle the best pellet for consistency over the chrono and downrange accuracy was 10.6gr pellets. That's quite common in 0.177 BSA barrels.

Now I either sold the gun and got a gun that shot 7.9/8.4gr pellets or made the best out of that BSA gun.

In that particular gun the extra drop off at 45 yards was fairly minimal and easily compensated for by learning the trajectory. I actually found it helped. Similar to Lanky, with my set up re scope height etc and 35 yard zero, I was having to aim about 0.8 mil dot at 45 yards with a 8.4gr pellet and bang on 1 mil dot with the 10.6gr. At 35 yards it was bang on with both. At 40 yards I could aim top of kill on any kill with both. At the full distance 45 yards it was easier to put the mil dot in the middle of the kill than it was trying to aim 0.8 mil dot.

The only downside was at 25 yards on a 15mm ... I could normally aim bottom of kill with 8.4gr but I had to aim just below bottom of kill with the 10.6gr.

In that gun, with 10.6gr, the heavier pellets definitely took less wind. On the range I tested them and at 45 yards with enough wind to take a 8.4gr pellet ( in my gun ) 25mm and take it out of a 40mm kill, the heavies were moving under half that. I shot courses where my 2 shooting partners were saying that they had aimed left edge to allow for wind and had still missed to the right ( 8.4gr ). I was inside left of kill and they were going down.

So ... putting it another way ... I agree with Bri that you can't just blanket say that everyone should use heavies because they do better in the wind ... but I think you can say that if you are a shooter who is very confident in your ranging ( scope or eye ), but are not very good at judging wind ( and it can be the light winds that do most damage ), then try testing heavies in your gun ( I'm only really talking pcp ). Run them at flat out ( close to 12 at @ 710fps ). If they shoot accurately and with good stability in your gun and you are not losing too much on trajectory, and can cope with it, and they do far better in wind than your current lighter pellet, then they may help you in the wind. You may improve your scores because you may miss the odd one because of trajectory but you may gain several because they took less wind.

I still 100% agree that you can't just buy results. There will never be a substitute for practice and experience. However, if you are not great at judging wind then having a pellet that takes much less wind will swing the percentages in your favour ( providing it's accurate and efficient in your gun ).

Last edited by skires; 6th November 2014 at 07:29 AM.