View Single Post
Old 14th October 2014, 12:24 PM
Allowed in Sales
Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Originally Posted by john0neuk View Post
Hi Brian,

thanks for the work and brain power expended on this topic. Can I ask two "newbie type questions"

Recognising the hold under requirments and the known size of the impact area is it safe to simplify the issue by aiming for top, middle or bottom of the target disc, if so would I be safe to amend the chart to be colour coded to show "within the disc" or "below the disc"
Second point the chart shows MM holdunder so I assume we wouldnt "click" to amend so no need to convert MM to MOA and always aim for the middle?

Sorry there was 3 points - I have recently bought one of your excellent "butt hooks" I noted at the Euros people adjusting the butt hook for elevated shots - using scales or known positions on thier back plates etc. I assume that is unrelated to the trajectory/holdunder requirments but rather getting your eye releif/alignment back in kilter due to rifle elevation, kneelers or standing etc?

Sorry but I am new to this, I assume the fact i can't hit a barn door makes the above a mute point. But learning from others may shorten the time it takes for me to be succesful. At least this has science behind it - the vagaries of the wind is another variable less easy to master!
Eyup John

Yup - there's a really simple method..

Rules of 15's

Less than 15 yards OR less than 15 degrees - just treat it like a normal shot on the level.
More than 15 yards AND more than 15 degrees - aim inside bottom of kill

That works for pretty much any shot you're ever going to see in the UK.

In the cases where it doesn't - it doesn't really matter whether the chart is in mm or clicks, because unless you have an inclinometer fitted to your gun you won't know what the real angle is anyway.

Even if you do have an inclinometer fitted - for the shots where aiming inside bottom of kill won't work, other factors will come into play anyway - finding a stable position, and figuring out what the wind's doing.

When it comes to adjusting your hook generally if the target is up, take the hook up, if the target is down, take the hook down. There's more to it than that, but it's a bit off topic for this thread.