Thread: FT kill zones
View Single Post
Old 10th October 2014, 08:26 AM
Lucky git

Originally Posted by skires View Post
Many thanks Rob, Greg.

I understand that most range via focus ( PA ) so size won't be an issue.

I'm crocked at the moment and forsee a Winter of gun fiddling and testing up the garden/local range. I may have a go at getting to the odd shoot and using a light set up, including a smaller scope and have a play at ranging the longer ones with bracketing.

I shot the first British Springer Champs at Anston last year HFT style using my HFT rig with a 30/30 scope on set at 8x ( I shot it FT this year ... didn't do great in either ). Just prior to that shoot I had a play down the local club with 40mm kills at 50 and 55 yards and was surprised how 'easy' ( easier than I expected ) it was to be able to notice a difference between 45, 50 and 55 yards using the bars on the ret in relation to kill zone and hinge to kill etc. Please don't be offended ... I'm talking a quite crude " That's about 50 and that's about 55 " ... so not what you guys will want but it gave me an idea.

No where near as accurate as you guys will want re ranging but may entertain me over Winter whilst I wait for my bits to hopefully get better. I can use mildot/half mildot to give me a bit better indication than the 30/30.
In the NEFTA region we have a SFT class in the FT winter league with quite a few of the local HFT lads giving it a go. I have shot it for a few years with my HFT Steyr and 10x44 Viper with the SCB ret. Last year my scores would have been FT 'A' grade. If you get to a lane then the SFT shooter must shoot first to stop him taking a peak at the FT shooters sidewheel. I also use bracketing and still use it a lot for HFT although these days the mk1 eyeball,bracketing and scope blur are my preferred aid to rangefinding. For SFT though i reset my sope away from my usual 22 yard HFT setting up to 35 yards which gives a good sight picture enabling more accurate kill size bracketing. In SFT your'e allowed to change your px at the start of each lane so it becomes tricky if the first target is 55yards and the second 20 yards have to decide which one is going to cause you the most probs and adjust the px before the first shot. I rangefind by eyeball 20% and 80% killsize bracketing....i have some A4 sheets made up with the kill sizes as black circles, place them at the longer ranges and work out where the kills sit on the SCB ret. Let me know if you'd like a copy.

Last edited by chrisc; 10th October 2014 at 08:29 AM.