View Single Post
Old 6th September 2014, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by EELS View Post
Hi Sam,
I agree with the jist of what you suggest above but remember FT is an amateur sport and the WFTF has limited funds; certainly too limited to send a party to NZ to help them organise a shoot.

I do have to disagree with you on the point about giving every 'paid up' member of a recognised shooting organisation a vote though. For a start this just passes the problem of standards and structure down the line; what constitutes a valid shooting organisation etc.

And secondly, just like when we have raised the issue of giving every BFTA member a vote on GP rules - by electronic voting systems or whatever - the concern is you are giving 2,000 people the right to discuss the rules for something most of them will never be involved with. The voting system is correct as it is.

What the home nations should be doing is using our 4 votes as a block vote on WFTF matters and therefore increase our influence. This was proposed at the worlds in Italy with Norway happy to follow our lead too - making 5 votes. The trouble was the best way to co-ordinate it was for the BFTA to take a lead and the then chairman flatly refused as he didnt see it as the bfta's business. In my view that was our biggest and possibly last window to retain control of the growth and direction of the sport; so lets not sit here casting stones in the wftf's direction now.

In my experience the WFTF is made up of good people who are devoted to the sport and give up their time for free in the aid of providing enjoyment for others - which is exactly the same as what you and the guys do.

I think the BFTA should be reaching out to the WFTF, to join ideas and help them; especially if we are a supposed paragon of virtue.
Within the BFTA all members have a say, all the clubs have votes on topics the leading vote is put forward to the BFTA through the regions members, These are then voted on within the meetings and the outcome is what we shooters see.
So we do all have a vote.
Even if the BFTA didn't want to get involved directly I am sure that they would give permission for the rules to be perused, after all it is the members who put the rules together through there votes.

I understand that only 2 shooters with the aid of 2 other persons were responsible for putting the courses out. If this is true then how on earth did they think for one minute they would be able to run the event smoothly.

How has it possibly been allowed to have guns with mixed power outputs, this is crazy. As far as I was aware all world field target events have always been limited to 12 ft lbs in the past.

Too much has gone wrong to save this event in New Zealand but surely someone should be taking note of all the things that went wrong, in order to use this information to ensure these things never go wrong again.