Thread: Steyr Problem ?
View Single Post
Old 12th August 2014, 05:12 PM
Nikon Shooter
Member of: Rivington Riflemen
Default Reg repair

Hi Peter, my 2 penny worth.
I think you have two problems;
1, is that you have a leak depleting air from the chamber, which as mentioned above could be the reg or the valve, or even any of the housing o rings.
2, the reg is not filling when the pressure in the chamber reduces ( leaking occurs)

The reg contains a small aluminuim piston with a delrin insert, this insert acts as a valve seat against the supply of air from your cylinder and as such operates against pressures upto 200 bar. After time this delrin insert wears and can form a little nipple (mine did)

As your chamber pressure is slowly depleted through the leak, and the piston moves away from the supply jet, the little nipple is still making a seal and not allowing the cylinder air in.

IMO the leak is also coming from one of the two O rings on the piston inside the reg.

Chris will be able to supply you with a reg piston and O rings, but you will need a reg checker and a special forked screwdriver tool to set it back to your prefered pressure (prob around 30 for the piston & O rings)

A set of O rings for the housings is about a tenner, and I would fit in a new firing valve whilst its apart, they're not expensive.

Good luck with your repair, and let us know how you get on.
The Devil will find work for idle hands to do.