Originally Posted by MikeS
Had already spoken to Burris and arranged already earlier this week and arranged to send it back to them, the other way is to send to GMK who then send on to Burris which will cost more in postage and time quicker to sent direct to USA.
I'm in a similar situation. One of my scopes is going back for a change in reticle.
GMK replied to my email quoting £150 each way for packing and delivery. I don't think they are interested, do you
. Also not a good way to treat potential customers as if they are a brick short of a BBQ.
I'm just waiting for Burris to get back with prices - all I've had so far is an automated response to fill in a repair/service request.