Thread: Steyr Service
View Single Post
Old 4th June 2014, 05:17 AM
Lucky git

Originally Posted by DYNO DAVE View Post
First and foremost my comments are what I believe would happen to your gun if he got his hands on it , And why, I have seen him work on them and was shocked at what I saw never in a million years should he be the styer rep or repair agent you could say he is a component changer but any more than that he is stumped and by the time he has changed every thing to find out what's wrong the bill will be mega so don't come on here and tell me that my comments are harsh , there are plenty of people out there no what I'm talking about and I have repaired some of there guns.
Actually Dave, thereīs a reason why the component changing happens. sometimes a varying fps on the chrono can be the result of the failure of firing valve, spring, hammer spring, reg or just dirt. Itīs obvious that you would change the cheapest item first. This would happen on any rifle. Obviously you would give a clean and check the reg forst but after that itīs replace the cheapest item first and then re check. Iīve worked on Steyrs for almost 10 years now and this is the process that i stil follow although after a while you learn what causes certain problems but even then itīs not cut n dried.. I still think the comment of the rifle coming back as scrap is very, very harsh.

Originally Posted by Multiregion View Post
Hi Chris I do know you and you would know me by sight Its Mick Brown yes I could not purchase spares from HP when I had a Steyr and implications of capability came into it direct from Steyr. Someone else who shall be nameless who you know was refused parts and he definitely knows what he is doing. Why have videos showing how to service if you are not going to supply spare parts.
Not having a go at you as such but I think it is unfair for some people being forced in some instances to return items to supplier for service when they are perfectly capable of carrying out such work and why should they have to struggle to find spare parts when we have a UK agent,( those that wish to return there guns to Harry Preston are free to do so) as was the case when I owned a Steyr.
It comes down to Why Should Harry Preston keep getting a pat on the back as such a great guy when he won't supply spare parts and people like you fill the gap and he continues to be able to avoid the issue.
I have not owned a Steyr for some time ( it was originally purchased from HP), but I do believe the short comings of Steyr's UK agent need highlighting as well as the good points. this I feel is constructive criticism from which a lesson could be learned.
From my experience The UK is the only country that the agent refuses to supply spare parts.
I have no knowledge of Mr Preston's servicing capabilities but his people skills need polishing.
Mick, i canīt disagree with any of that and think itīs bonkers for it to cost to post both ways in postage just to have a few o rings fitted. Even though HP lives well within driving distance for me i decided a long time ago that i had to learn how to service myself. then i was lucky to be able to source parts as i own a house in the Netherlands.

Originally Posted by poth View Post
all this info on here makes me glad I have got an air arms no problem getting spares for them and cheap to service even by our local rfd
styers might have a good reputation so some say and some dont but is it worth the hastle, and yes air arms is not perfect on warrenty repairs either
I bet itīs no where near as cheap as mine costs me.......and no help if youīre at a GP or the worlds and it fails.