View Single Post
Old 19th May 2014, 05:05 PM
Member of: Millride

Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
That is the question you should be asking yourself.

When there's a "Who's got the springer that feels the nicest to shoot" competition, go out looking for one that feels the nicest to shoot.

If you want to knock over targets however - the gun that feels the nicest might not be the one that knocks over the most targets - Be careful what you wish for.

If you don't have a clear idea about what you want to achieve and don't have a benchmark for checking that you've made things better or worse, don't tune your springer until you do.

Remember when it comes to springer tuning, you can't have everything and you can't turn it into a PCP. Tuning often makes some things better and some things worse. If the things it makes better are important to you and the things it makes worse aren't important to you - you're taking steps in the right direction.
Although I now only shoot my PCP in competitions, when I first started (1992), I had a Mk 1 TX200 and this was super accurate. I never touched it. It shot great, 'straight out the box'. After converting to PCP, I later bought another TX Mk1 and also a TX200SR. They were never as good as the first one I had. I am assuming that if I at least shorten the stroke and lighten the piston, then the lock time should be better than the standard Mk111 setup. Is that not something to be desired.
I am happy that the Mk111 is accurate but with age induced wobbles, is it not better to get the pellet on its way quicker.
What can tuning make worse?
EV2 Mk3+Sightron SIII 10-50 x 60 LRIRMOA / Bushnell 8-32

Theoben Rapid 12 FAC