View Single Post
Old 1st May 2014, 10:27 AM
Member of: NOFTC
Default Trying to understand temperature shift

I have been using a Hawke Sidewinder 8-32 witha 56 mil objective for the winter season and have found it to be excellent at range finding despite the lower mag than most of the other scopes used in FT.

I shot at Castle on Sunday and noticed that my range finding was out on +40 yards by 3-5 yards which with some advice from LittleJack I could compensate for. (Still missed a lot but mainly through wind/position imbalance)
I went to the club last night and managed to range find accurately out to 55 yards!

The temp I had on Sunday was 19 degrees and yesterday I had 15 degrees and It confused me a little as I assumed temperature shift would come into play with wider shifts (Unless the sun on Sunday was heating my scope to > ambient temperature)

Is this normal to experience such shifts when temperatures remain by and large static, is this a "feature" of the sidewinder scopes hence why I was the only one there with one, could it be face plate/colour or light/shade issues.

It would be good if someone could perhaps explain to me why I was the shift and what I could do about it.
  • Daystate MK4 (No electrocutions yet ) GC laminate stock w/ Leupold comp. 45
  • Daystate MK4 TH (Still no electrocutions ) w/Hawke Panorama 3-12 40
Slowly working my way through every conceivable way to miss tin chickens!
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread