View Single Post
Old 17th March 2014, 01:39 PM
Lucky git
Default I think my HFT rifle is sulking.

Do rifles really have a soul?

I've had a Steyr as my primary HFT gun for the last 6 years and bought another as back up for travelling to comps. This NEFTA winter league i shot SFT but managed to get into the Frayed knot team and was so chuffed that i decided to convert one Steyr into a full FT rig for the Frayed knot and to shoot FT (the dark side) once again in the next NEFTA winter league. Sooo....

Sightron S111
Anschutz butthook
pointer and mag coaster

The second the FT scope went onto the rifle it stopped grouping, initially making me think the scope was a lemon. I swapped the Viper back on and still the grouping was pants but after a strip down, clean and reg check thought all was fine and looking forward to setting it up on the Sat. So flew back into the UK on friday night and decided to pull through the barrel just in case. The pull though that i had used for the past 8 years snapped halfway down the barrel but luckily i had a VFG rod to get the patch out. So i decided to give the barrel a quick VFG instead and took off the stripper to help. Putting the stripper back on and the threads for the locking screw decided to strip but after another hour nmanaged to get it back on securely.

At nidnight i was bushed.

Saturday morning and nice and early to the club and with a sigh of relief all seemed fine apart form the very occasional dropped shot that i put down to me and my rusty sitting position. Then the trigger threw a wobbly and the rifle would cock but not fire until the second third or fourth attempt. I soon found that the sear had become slightly mis aligned due to a weak starlock washer so soon sorted and left the club happy to watch the Rugby.

Sunday morning and all seems fine on the zero range but on the course i'm seeing a few shots drop low and really know there's a problem after dropping under a full size kill at 35yards. struggled to get a 15 and decided to borrow my mates HW100 with a 10 mag scope for the second course and finished with a 20 when the top score was a 25 (very windy).

UKAHFT season now starts so the FT rig will sit a while as it's quite a few months before the winter league starts but it will get a smacked arse if it doesn't settle into it's new role.

Anyone else suffered from a sulky Steyr, Whinging Walther or an arsey air arms?
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread