View Single Post
Old 20th February 2014, 12:18 PM
Member of: FT Schalkhaar / SSV Ons Genoegen

Originally Posted by Mr P View Post
i can only assume it is not the cost of the jacket being the reason for you wanting a ban. When James Osbourne won the FT worlds he was wearing a borrowed leather jacket of a non shooting type so what would an actual ban acheive?
Steve Page
Yes I'm a FT shooter and No it is not so much the cost. But cost is an argument contra. Although we now mostly see the cheaper Olympic style jackets in FT, there are some much more (500 to 600 pound) expensive jackets available (Anschutz, Thune, Mouche) and I'm sure they will appear in FT on some big money spending person some day soon.

It has to do with the way it looks to the general public and new shooters: It looks strange, it looks special, the world champion is using one so I need one too if I want to perform.
And it is how it feels to be strapped up for the first time in such a jacket. I own 2 of these jackets and spend some 20 years of shooting smallbore and airgun in them so I know how it feels. If I took my jacket off I would shoot at least 20 points less in the standing airgun position. I have tried that.

The arguments like "this and this person has won this and that shooting in his old coat" do not hold. The olympic style jackets do offer a lot of extra support in the standing position. That is what they were made for. If it was easier to shoot without one no shooter would use them.

IMHO it does not add to the sport of FT. It causes a more uneven playing field. Scares newcomers. Ban and Bin them jackets before even more shooters spend money on them.
Field Target Schalkhaar:
Airgun Accuracy weblog: