Old 10th February 2014, 05:10 PM
Mk3 Fanatic
Member of: SYWELL NTSC : FT : Greyhound : Kibworth

Originally Posted by Lol Moore View Post
FT shooter - Fairy Target shooter

HFT shooter - Hard Field Target shooter

..these things are sent to try us, you will look back and chuckle

...if it was easy everyone would be good at it
I had heard that HFT was for Hairy Fairy Target shooter. I'm glad you've put me right on that one.
[in comparison with me - everyone is good at it.]

Originally Posted by Where's Molly View Post
Just a quick suggestion! Have you thought of a short break from FT and have a go at HFT? I used to do FT but found the frustration of having to sort the lueupold out EVERY time before a comp was taking the enjoyment away especially if not an experienced "twiddler" (usually resulted in my wheel literally falling off even before I started comp!) By chance I had a go at HFT to be honest I had never even heard of "hold over" and didnt even know what the "dots" where for on the scope I had borrowed!! But although as all sports can be frustrating I found it more rewarding especially if your not a top shot or dont even want to be! In my opinion the experience of HFT makes you a better shot in the long run I found I learnt to read wind better and got my eye in to range find better After a long break from FT I did a couple of comps last year and couldnt believe how much my HFT experience helped in FT especially when the leup decided to start under ranging half way through comp. What did I do ? Ignored the scope ranged by eye and held over (with a 30/30 ret!) I would never have been able to do that before my HFT days! Its also alot more comfortable for me than FT . Maybe give it a go then go back and do some FT I think the break will do you good! word of warning it is adictive and although I thought id just give it a go I must admit although I miss the great FT characters....... Im now fully "ON THE DARKSIDE!!!!!

Jen xxx)
Hello Jen.
That is an interesting view on the matter. It's great to hear that it worked out so well for you.
Good for you for having the courage to try something different.

The problem for me, with HFT, is the prone position.
If I got down into a prone position, it would be weeks before I got back to my feet again.
When I first started I did a couple of 'friendly' HFT shoots, and really enjoyed them. I shot everything standing. But that is very tiring. I do like the idea though of getting one point for hitting the plate.

I don't have a problem with the scope/range-finding etc, so long as I don't fling the gun on the floor before I start.

The car fuse puller is perfect BTW - or at least it is for the large Rowan Big Nikko wheel anyway.
I bought a dozen today at my local car factor for 50p. Different colours too

I sorted the scope out.
It had moved 40mm out vertically & 20mm horizontally - at 12yds -- so not too bad actually, hahaha: with not a great deal of adjustment necessary to bring it back to position. Spot on again now.
You're only young once - so it's best to make it last for the whole of your lifetime.
The FFTA Winter League nemesis
Renovated Daystate Mk3 .177 ~ Big Nikko Mk3:
BASC Member

Last edited by Strokebloke; 10th February 2014 at 09:22 PM.