View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:20 AM
Member of: Iceni Marksmen

Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
Ah, laminate stocks aren't cheap, but Warren is about the cheapest at 500, or 375 for Walnut. I went for laminate for the extra weight ( and because I think they look cool )

You can do very well with just a standard stock though, in fact I had my best score with a CS700 thumbhole stock - not too far off being a standard stock. If you don't go for a new stock, I'd recommend getting your stock modified to have an adjustable cheekpiece - you're looking at about 50 for that mod to be done, but it really helps with getting a consistent head position. Your friend at Iceni is spot on with his advice, consistency is the key and to achieve that it helps to have a stock with reference points on it. I go through a quick mental checklist for each shot to make sure that my points of contact with the stock are the same every time.

Cable ties make excellent windicator fixings too

Stick at it, it takes a good while to get into a rhythm with them and don't be disheartened if you bomb out every now and then - springers are like that, one week you're flying, the next you're missing everything in sight and questioning your sanity.
Thanks for the advice, I think a new stock is probably the best option, and Warren's looks the hound's rounds. I suspect I will go down the Walnut route unless the wife is feeling generous!!! I found the stock thread btw, some serious looking kit!!!

Anyhow, that is some time down the line and I have a long road to travel yet, despite the temptations to switch to PCP, I'll stick to the springer, but would be interested on any leads on how to get my standard stock modded, like the pink/red tx on the page one of this thread!

Was this springer the one you used at the Worlds last year?? ( minus the Polly hook)

Last edited by Caseytx200; 2nd February 2014 at 10:42 AM.