View Single Post
Old 30th January 2014, 07:29 AM

I think pellets are at a point where you can find the batch for your barrel and use them out of the tin like most guys have found. The CZ stuff anyway.

I tend to just buy the batches that do well in my barrel and then give them a quick visual before loading them in. Any that have badly deformed skirts or extra bits sticking out of them get thrown. As I thumb them in the barrel I feel for a 'typically good' fit. Some will just fly in and I know they usually give a different POI in practice ... so I shoot them through into the ground ( not sure you are allowed to do that in FT ? ).

I tried washing, lubing etc. Bored me to death and I wondered if I was doing more harm than good with all that extra handling.

Having said all that ... and just to keep me confused. A couple of guys who have won plenty have told me that they weigh ( 1 guy ) and measure ( other guy ). I tried measuring with a BIC and found it did make enough difference with a certain pellet.

Probably the best shooters are the guys who win the FT GP's and the HFT Nationals and their opinion should be respected. Worth noting though that there are actually guys who have been shooting airguns, hunting or local target clubs, for a lifetime and are very very good shots and have a world of knowledge. They shouldn't be ignored just because they don't shoot the main comps. Plenty have all the gear and attend all the main shoots but still can't hit a cow's ar5e with a banjo, but they still hang on to the shirt tails of the best shooters and talk down to non attendees as if doing the circuit makes them something special. Filling in an entry form, paying your fee and doing the miles doesn't make you a good shot. That's not directed at anyone posting on this thread as I don't know any of you. It's from my own experience of attending clubs and shooting at targets for 20 years and shooting airguns for much longer.

Last edited by skires; 30th January 2014 at 03:19 PM.