View Single Post
Old 27th January 2014, 12:05 PM
Member of: Redfern FT
Default Some FT Techniques For beginners

I am new to ft but this could be of interest to new guys like me.

Some FT Techniques For beginners

Pellets from a .177 field target rifle running near the British legal limit of 12 ft.lbf will drop around 11 cm over 55 yards enough to miss the target kill completely. It becomes necessary to compensate the range by adjusting the elevation of the barrel. Two common methods used are moving the crosshairs above the center of the target (hold-over) by a lesser or greater degree, often using markings on the reticle of the scope for reference, or adjusting a turret/knob on the scope to drop the crosshairs onto the kill of target for a given range such that the pellet appears to go exactly where you point the gun not counting windage of course. Competitors will often carry a small card with a table of different ranges with appropriate drop compensation or calibrate their elevation turret/knob, often using an enlarged knob/turret combined with the range-finding ability of the scopes, this allows for very accurate vertical placement of the pellets. Wind presents probably the largest challenge for Field Target shooters while it is not too difficult to hit even the furthest targets on a perfectly still day with a little practice, the trick is mastering shooting in wind, this can take many years. Pellets can be blown sideways by even a light breeze. At longer distances this can start to cause misses, as the pellet will often be blown onto the target plate if you aim centrally. In stronger winds it is not uncommon to have to aim completely off the target plate in order to score a hit, and judging the amount of compensation to apply takes a lot of experience and practice. Head and tail winds can also have an effect on the trajectory of the pellets, causing them to hit high or low. It is common to fit a wind indicator to the barrel of the rifle a piece of wool or a small feather on the end will provide a good indicator of general direction in light winds but it does not tell you what the wind will be doing on the way to the target. Competitors may choose to lift the reset cord of a target off the ground to get a feel for this wind, it will arc gently in a steady crosswind, and may even reveal changes in wind direction caused by nearby foliage and trees. Although many scopes have mechanical adjustment for horizontal offset, it is primarily used to ensure the rifle is shooting straight ahead in still conditions. The variable nature of the wind means it is often easier to aim off target than to try to adjust the calibration of the crosshairs.

The above was given to me by an old friend, any differences will i'm sure, be put right by members !!!!
Smile Say Cheese
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread