View Single Post
Old 15th January 2014, 07:02 AM
Pete Dutton

Originally Posted by BigBluey View Post
Hi all, its been a while since I've posted due to personal reasons.
I would like to ask a serious question, to which i hopefully get sensible answers.
As a few of you may know I have now been registered as sight impared/partially sighted. I don't need to go into details but would like to carry on shooting but due to my poor vision I can not locate the targets.

The question I would like to ask is:
Could the face plates be painted in a luminous yellow with a black kill zone? Best contrast as stated by RNIB and one I can confirm

Now before people say the base plates can be yellow, well to someone with severe visual problems locating a yellow target is nigh on impossible, especially in the shadows. I'm sure its not just me who struggles, and would make a massive difference.

I really don't want to give up on shooting, but it is at the point I cant locate the target over 30yrds and am lucky enough to have a very understanding shooting buddy who tries to help out. Many a time I am unable to locate the target and so just discharge a shot over the firing line and score 0.

I'm not asking for a lot just a simple change in colour so that those that struggle seeing are not being discriminated against and that everyone has the same chance of seeing the kill as a person with 20:20 vision.
I understand that this request may seem a step to far, to those that have no vision issues, but please give this serious thought and place yourself in a position where you struggle seeing the targets. Its no fun looking at your scorecard seeing 0's just because you cant locate the target. Oh and following the string makes no difference as you loose that about 20yrds in.

Thanks for reading this

I think suggesting people with poorer eyesight are being discriminated against is a bit harsh as following on from your reasoning then a lot of people will be discriminated against when shooting a hft course, they might have bad legs/hips/backs or be larger/taller/smaller or shorter than the average person. There's no doubt that you are at a disadvantage with poorer eyesight but I wouldn't agree that we are discriminating against you.

At what point are you not able to find the target? is it when looking at the target without a scope, when looking down the scope or both ?? I'm assuming you are using a really good quality scope with a bigger field of view ?

A few posters have mentioned using flourescent paint but you specify luminous ! So here are a number of questions on the paint you are suggesting:
- Is luminous paint going to light up when used in a dark wood as there is no extra light to charge the paint ??
- Is luminous paint available in spray cans as a brief search I did came up with pots only, in this case how long does it take to dry
- The tinned paint is usually quite thick to hold as much of the pigment as possible so does it flake off in huge pieces when the faceplate is hit ??
- How are you going to see the target once a few people have shot the faceplate especially on lollypop style targets ?

Has you suggestion been tried at your club? if so can you give us details please.

It may be a cheaper alternative to look at using target numbers on highly visible surrounds next to the target as this would be a one off cost and not subjest to getting shot up