View Single Post
Old 10th January 2014, 02:42 PM
Member of: M.A.D

Originally Posted by johnnytopshot View Post
Setting up your gun and knowing the performance of your combination is of course essential, without this a 5k rig will put the same big fat zero on your score card as a 100 combination bought in the local secondhand shop.

In saying that a decent 400 or equivalent is in absolute terms as accurate as the "super guns", well maybe, if you compare by clamping in a vice with no chance of movement. The simple fact is that the top guns (Steyrs, Anschutz etc) have better triggers, a sweeter firing cycle, less movement in the firng cycle, thereby making it easier to attain a higher level, and being more forgiving to shoot.

I've seen several times on this forum that in many peoples opinion a 400 is 'as good as anything else out there', simply it isn't, the Steyrs, Anschutz 9003's, and to some extent EV2's of the world are in a different league to the aforementioned gun for the reasons above. Yes some people will put in very respectable scores with a 400, but the extra few percent that the super guns give is the difference at the very top level of competition, and could be the difference between winning or losing, which is why you when you look at the scoreboard of any top level FT comp in particular, you will find the super gun combinations blocking out the leading positions
I totally agree with the above, if not why would people purchase higher end guns ?
I think another important point is gun fit.
Take a stock S400 / Air Ranger / BSA Ultra etc and it will fit most people in some way, but get a target rifle and you can make it fit you for the discipline you shoot, be it FT, HFT or hunting. What we do with our guns is often a compromise in some way, the cheek piece may fit well for standing, but is too low for prone and so on.
Having available adjustment and setting it up for you just takes away some more of the variables.
We all see people come in with top scores using what look like "Factory" guns, but they have often been "tuned" by the owner or a gunsmith again to remove variation.
I don't know may people who after getting the "bug" of HFT have stuck with the first gun they tried it with. We are all looking for that extra point or 2.

MAD for it.

Steyr LG 110 Gary Cane, Leupold 2.5-8x36 TMR
Member of the UYK, UYB, UYC, UYH & UYE club.

I would like to agree with you....but then we would both be wrong !!