View Single Post
Old 17th December 2013, 08:00 PM
Member of: Ford & Oaks
Default plating

Originally Posted by Conor View Post
A brand new Steyr barrel needs to be shot in. This is and can be a lengthy process involving scrubbing out the barrel frequently, it has taken my barrel 5,000 shots involving cleaning every couple of hundred shots.
In the early days patches from the pull throughs were usually very, very dirty and took anything up to 12 patches.

Now I can clean after every tin and usually only takes 4 patches.
As stated previously I think it has something to do with the internal plating which comes off, until this has been removed, the regime is painfully boring. why do Steyr Nickle plate their barrels, if its for corrosion protection it seems pretty pointless if you have to wear it off to get it to shoot properly

....If it doesnt shoot properly with the coating on how comes my Steyr factory test shot target at 50m has a single very small hole
...the statements, opinions and comments in the post above are from someone who has never won anything and probably never will, just an enthusiastic air gunner, for those here who only place value in the opinions of winners - move along to the next post ... LL MRE