Thread: BFTA & Kneelers
View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:40 PM
Member of: Kent Woodsmen FTC

Originally Posted by Conor View Post
not starting an argument here but, why would a marshall take a picture of an illegal position and say nothing, the BIG problem is MARSHAL INTERVENTION ie a shooting partner suggesting that they think their position may be incorrect.

Perhaps the onus should be on both shooter and partner, not too difficult to do what I do before taking the shot when in position, ask your partner is he happy and cover the aspects, ankle, knee, no bum thigh support, leading hand, wrist etc. it lityerally takes seconds to check.
I offered to do a kneeling lane marshal at the Welsh GP (Tondu) in 2012.

I offered to demonstrate correct position and it would in turn perhaps educate those who may not be aware of the ruling which is open to interpretation. Anyway my offer was was deemed unnecessary so perhaps
Hi Conor, hope you're well bud? No problem; Forget I said 'picture', you wouldn't be able to prove that that was the stance when the shot was taken. Let's say 'video'.

Why the Marshal? Because the buddy marshaling won't work.
Firstly, I doff my cap to you sir for asking your buddy if he's happy with your stance - I'm sure it's perfect btw - but what if it's not? & your buddy is a new C grader who's not sure what's right and what isn't or wouldn't dream of telling a very large, Irish chap - who happens to be an ex world champ - what was what? So he says 'ok' but if you weren't kneeling correctly he has just validated an incorrectly taken shot to the detriment of the rest of the field.

Secondly what if you shoot and then he says 'sorry mate, I've docked you those two; your stance was illegal'? You've already gotten up, it's his word against yours and now you've got to spend the next 3 hours glaring at each other as you go round the course! Not a good way to spend your day off! So it's got to be the call of an independent marshal.

The video idea works because then you don't have to have an experienced Marshall, as all he's got to do is record the event, leaving any intervention or sanction for informed messrs Shore, Long & co' back at HQ.

It's not the Marshall (or your buddies) responsibility to tell you your stance is wrong before you shoot; it's your responsibility to make sure your stance is right!

nuff said