Thread: BFTA & Kneelers
View Single Post
Old 20th November 2013, 09:09 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Originally Posted by holly View Post
You will get it flat in the MUD Rob ??? HOLLY
I probably will. If it's deep enough so could anyone.

But I can assure you that the reason I put my foot flatter isn't to find support from the ground. It's to get my backside as low as possible for shots that require me to bring my arm off my leg. Rather than lift the gun up, by sinking down I can keep that front support good by lowering my backside instead. I actually don't want mud. What makes it harder is kneeling areas that fill that shape. I don't want it filled. I just want it lower.

It's not the same thing as wedging a bag under the gap to provide support. That's there for comfort to stop the ankle stretching under load. But you put the foot at the height of the target. And the bag fills the gap. It's not meant to be a support for the backside or shin.

Boots are the only solution to that support problem if nothing under the ankle is allowed. And when course builders work out no-one can go lower with their backside when their boots dont bend then you'll get kneelers higher than is comfortable to throw you out of position. Then we'll have demands for no high targets. And we can't have uphill shots. And we can't have lanes uphill or downhill slanting. So you'll have course builders stretching shooters and shooters trying to rein in the targets.

This isn't some abnormality though. A swimmer for instance with normal ankle flexibility should be able to kneel on a mat and sit back on the heels with the toes pointing backwards. The tops of the feet and the lower legs should form straight lines against the mat. If this is painful or cannot be held for 30 seconds, ankle flexibility is deficient. For swimmers ankle flex is important in making the leg stroke more efficient. It's something they train to get better at with proper physio led training and coaching.

The movement your referring to is called Plantar flexion. Normal movement from the upper angle (ie when your standing on your foot like normal) to pointing toes down is around 45 degrees.

If you read down there it says that the normal range of movement when walking is 20 degrees.

Further down it has break downs for Non Athletic, to gymnast for the range of movement. Non Athletics were sampling at 37 degrees and gymnasts 55 degrees. So average was found to be 40 degrees.

Now I'm not advocating that people go out and do something painful and injure themselves in the same way I wouldn't advise a larger than average FT shooter to go and do a decent run. But the fact is the human body is capable of things that others can't do yet we aren't talking the realms of hyper flexible gymnastics to get into a low kneeling position.

Now, do we want to learn and train to shoot better, or do we want to change the rules so we don't have to?
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep