Thread: Scatt
View Single Post
Old 14th November 2013, 12:08 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

A case of too much info?

I'm not too savvy on pistol shooting because I don't do it, but the principles of it as a tool are the same... with rifle we use it as a tool to see what the eye can't see and the main thing we look at in the norm is the trace shape to start with. The ideals we aim for are a consistent approach angle to the bull, vertically downwards, the shape of the transition to the bull, and then it's looking at the shape of the hold which should just be like a small scribble around the 10, and then the shape of the trace after the shot, showing follow through. Also of interest is getting the cross where the shot is taken as close to where the shot lands as possible. Ideally they should line up. Then there's things like the length of trace in the final time period (i forget what that is as default), and looking to reduce that.

One thing I would say is that the trace should be quite detailed. If you're moving too fast then you tend to end up with a smooth line, and the shot release cross and the hit point away from each other.

From that you can get some insight and feedback on the shooter's approach to target, shot release and follow through and then see if it reveals anything or if there's room for improvement.

Sometimes it's a case of seeing something that can't be seen before, other times it's a way of showing a shooter something, perhaps offering a comparison to another shooter who has made their traces publicly available, or using it as a benchmark to show improvement after the shooter has trained around a specific problem.

There's a load of other information as well which can be pulled out, but these are best analysed for each individual shooter and tied in with a specific training program focused on the shooter's goals.

NSRA do run Scatt courses, which are worth a look. Still haven't got around to doing one yet.

It's hard to chat over the net about it because it's really a tool/aid to training, which to be honest, beyond basics is something that needs to be tailored to each shooter in order to stand the best chance of yielding results. I know of one shooter who has world class (seriously world class) scatt traces, yet that person scores less than world class because there are other issues to be solved.

One thing I would say is that when setting one up, use a consistent light source. Scatt seems affected by changing light which can shift the zero point.

Here's a bronze medalist's set...

And about half way down here is a shot with a fairly good approach (there's always room for improvement )

BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep