View Single Post
Old 9th November 2013, 02:30 PM
Mk3 Fanatic
Member of: SYWELL NTSC : FT : Greyhound : Kibworth

Originally Posted by neilL View Post
Scope height has a huge effect on the numbers and if you have a riser rail with a slope then Chairgun doesn't work it out. Make small changes to the "height" value you enter and compare the numbers with what you found on the range. That usually gives you a basis for experimenting with other values e.g. 10 fps difference has a very small effect.

Scope mag is only relevant to the image you get when you select reticle i.e. holdover but quit useful when pondering on how much did to give it.

End of the day, the software predicts trajectory based on input data, hole in a target at known distances is real data (you may wobble, etc) but 5 or 10 pellets hitting the same horizontal line is the best measure of vertical hold or clicks.

The advantage of range testing is that you can deliberately add or take off a couple of clicks and see just what difference it makes.
I must confess Neil, that so far I have been reasonably pleased with the 'self-determined' clicks which I have used.
However, I do have the reservation always floating around in the nether recesses of my grey matter, that I am not at all proficient with a gun; or the setting up thereof.

And, on Sunday at Sywell, I was talking to one of the established members who was telling me that a club friend had provided him with a 'click-list' derived from Chairgun, for his particular set-up, and it had proved more accurate that his own 'click-list'.
It set me to thinking. (and awakened my insecurities)

From the advice received today, I think it probably most expedient to stick with my own figures.
It may be an interesting exercise to speculatively check the Chairgun figures out at Sywell one Wed afternoon though ~ just for the fun of it.
The primary differences are, as would be expected, at the extremes of range. 8-13yds & 47-55yds.
Between 15 & 45yds the figures are very similar, if not identical.
The one exception is that Chairgun provided several negatives (only -1 ~ -3) between 22 & 30yds,
whereas my figures provide a '0' from 20-30yds. I had, subject to experimentation, selected 30yds as my zero to eradicate the negative figures.
You're only young once - so it's best to make it last for the whole of your lifetime.
The FFTA Winter League nemesis
Renovated Daystate Mk3 .177 ~ Big Nikko Mk3:
BASC Member