Thread: Looking into FT
View Single Post
Old 4th November 2013, 09:51 PM
Member of: The Oaks & Horsham hawks

Originally Posted by holly View Post
Think about this . first you are only as good as your kit .
1/ boots , fabric and goretex with low backs . if no dosh . go to e-bay and get a ex-army pair of goretex socks . about a fiver . wear any shoes boots you like .

2/ get a good pair of waterproof trousers to wear at the shoot ( lined ) that way you do not have to carry it to put on ( winter ) . not cammo , cos some clubs ban it .

3/ waterproof jacket with fleece underneath ( winter ) if loads of dosh a creedmore shooting jacket .

4/ peaked hat , base ball type to stop sun getting into optics .

5/shooting glove , or if not , pair of leather gloves with fingers cut off to work scope and load .

6/ dvd box ( empty ) to put score card in to stop getting soaked .

7/ get one of kiltys big bean bags . much , much better .

8/ on the gun front , FT is not HFT . the scope on a HFT rifle is better off being low . right next to the barrel . but in FT it is the opposite . if you have the scope high it flattens out the trajectory further out ( good ) . the only snag is that it makes it steeper close in IE 8 yards to 20 yards . meaning you must have every yard on your range card . this usually won't work with mil dots ? so dialing is more precise . the other good bit about it that you have a head up stance , allowing your windpipe to stay open . no kinks in the neck , better for standers .

9/ don't buy anything off croucher

10/ try before buy , not buy before try .

11/ enjoy the day . only one person can win . we can all win a good day .
Sound advise as usual Holly, you thought about taking up life coaching ??

Originally Posted by rich View Post
And you're not trying to beat anybody else, your two enemies are the course and the gremlins inside your head. This is one of the very few sports where - apart from the showdown - whatever your shooting partner does, can't hinder your score. No tackling, no snookering. What you knock over is down to you alone.
I have set myself a goal of 50% through the winter & am just short at the moment I'd like to make B grade if possible though by the spring. I don't think I have the time to put in for anything higher. It's all about having a laugh as well though, take some of the competitiveness out of myself as it makes my scores suffer.
In life you should not persue goals that are easily achieved, develop an instinct for what can be only just achieved through your greatest efforts.