View Single Post
Old 4th October 2013, 07:15 AM
Member of: FT Schalkhaar / SSV Ons Genoegen

Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
Because it's still going to be true that if a pellet spends less time in the wind, it won't take as much wind.
From what I have read here and there in ballistics books it is NOT the Time to target that is the main factor. It is the retardation of the projectile (retardation in feet per second per second, fps/s or ms/s).

A pellet that slows down more during flight suffers a greater wind effect. Even when the total time to target is the same because the pellet has a higher muzzle velocity it is still the one that slows down the most that has the largest deviation due to the wind.

It think (but I'm more a physiologist than a physicist, so please bear with me ) this brings drag (so the B.C.) into the calculation of wind effect.
And drag/B.C. is influenced by side profile because drag is a characteristic of the projectile and is measured on the actual projectile. So indirectly the side profile is taken into account in the ballistic models.

An intersting thread, open for further discussion. Let me add that I would like to see that terminal velocity measurement would be a good indicator for accuracy. It is a more objective method than shooting groups from the shoulder, which off course allways has the final word ;-).
Field Target Schalkhaar:
Airgun Accuracy weblog: