View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2013, 10:57 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Originally Posted by neilL View Post
Hmm Yes. Perhaps easier to think of if you imagine water rather than air for some reason e.g. fast flowing river.

So the difference between a heavy and light pellet has to be just the actual BC. A higher BC equals shorter flight time and higher target velocity therefore less drift? So initial speed and BC are what matter for outdoor shooting?

BCs given are very small for pellets (0.021 for Exact) and any variation will have a much bigger impact.

The way i see it is BC is like a measure of efficiency. A .408 has shot a claimed nearly .9 BC. From what I saw they had to recode a ballistics calculator to work with that as well.

Perhaps because a .177 is so inefficient to start with, a 5% variation compared to muzzle velocity, when everything else is the same to start with, at the target just doesn't make much difference. Brian can play with his calculator and see. And even though the .338 lap starts out with a much higher mv, it could be the same thing...

But the barrel harmonics theory is why i'd clamp the muzzle down, not the rifle.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep