View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2013, 08:52 AM
Allowed in Sales
Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Originally Posted by rich View Post
OK, let's fly a kite. Literally.

I have a kite of 1 sq metre area and it flies at say 100m and puts a tension on the line amounting to let's say 100 newtons, about 10 kilos.

Now I swap that kite for one of 10 sq metres area. Is the tension in the line still 100 newtons?

OK I am on the ground, the ground is stationary and that is what leads to the tension in the first place.

So instead of me holding the string, I place a weight on the line and then let it go. Will the smaller kite lift the same weight as the larger kite would?

I'm going for a cold bath, got a headache....
I dunno, that's making my head hurt too It's like one of those questions you get in school. You're mixing in a few factors there which confuses the hell out of me.

The theory about wind drift in projectiles has been around for a long long time and it's regarded by cleverer people than me to be correct. Google 'wind drift of projectiles' and the first link will be a link to a PDF that explains it better than I can.

Something I think we can all agree on though is that the longer a pellet spends in the air, the more wind drift it will have. So... that brings me back (nicely) to the original theory of this thread. The pellet that has the highest velocity downrange will have spent less time in the air and as a result will take less wind. ( probably ) Since we're comparing different batches and die's of pellets in this thread, it's reasonable to assume that the weight's will be approximately the same and the side profile will also be approximately the same too.

Also the pellet that has the lowest shot to shot deviation in it's downrange velocity will have the lowest variation in the time it spends in the air and again, will have the lowest deviation in wind displacement (i.e. it'll group better in the wind ).

All that assumes ballistics theory is correct though.. but I think that's a reasonable assumption to make.

So that's how I arrived at the theory that the pellet with the highest average velocity and the smallest deviation will be the one that groups the best - either in still air or in the wind. If that's not the case, then ballistic theory is wrong.