View Single Post
Old 1st October 2013, 01:15 AM
Steyr LG110 + Falcon T50
Member of: Waikato Airgun Club

Conor and Woody, thanks very much for your replies, sorry if my questions sounded indecorous, I meant no disrespect, I honestly wish to know the answers to those questions.

Originally Posted by Conor View Post
I like my pal Woody use x50 to range, sometimes when its tricky and the situation merits it I will use x80. FOV is much smaller and can lead to difficulty finding the target also it can be a tad dark in the forest!
Thank you, yes I understand the FOV difficulty and also that dark forests would make things difficult on very high power. But as you say there are times you use 80x so it's not wasted power (I hate waste )

What car do you drive, if its got a 140mph top end speed, why drive at only 70mph?
It's about power and acceleration, not speed The thing is, in trying to make a choice between a lower powered March and an 8-80x is it not good to wonder about these things?

What fixed x50 scope would you recommend?
Actually I had in mind the March 5-50X56 or the 10-60x52... I would not presume to recommend a scope to you guys, I humbly request a recommendation from you.

The guy (Woody) probably likes the field of view at x30, Simon Ayers likes to shoot on x25 both these guys got 2nd in the Europeans and Worlds. It seems to work well for them.
Yes, I understand... I was not questioning their decision or abilities, I was genuinely interested to find out what motivated them to purchase a larger and heavier 80x scope if not using the higher power available. I think I may be gleaning some insight now, but I confess I'm still slightly confused.

Do you shoot FT and what scope do you use, also on what magnification?
Well, I try my best at FT though surely not in the same league as you guys. I am using a silver Falcon T50 and I have been ranging and shooting on 50x. I admit I am still getting used to the scope but I find it very difficult to range the longer distances (over 45 yards) I previously used a Bushnell 8-32x elite scope that seemed to snap in and out of focus better and was overall clearer and easier to range with, but also had severe limitations at the long distances.

Unfortunately I don't have the kind of money needed to buy a bunch of expensive scopes to try out and decide which one suits me, so I try to glean as much information as possible from the forums. Here in NZ the sport of FT is tiny in comparison to you guys, so there is not much opportunity to try out other scopes borrowed from fellow club members. I have actually never seen a March scope in real life but I think there actually is one in NZ somewhere.

Thanks for your time answering my questions, it is much appreciated.