View Single Post
Old 30th September 2013, 08:44 PM
Allowed in Sales
Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Ey up Peter

Yup, basically, that's the reason. To eliminate shooter error and wind drift error and to better identify edge cases where the difference in group size isn't conclusive. (possibly due to the variable factors)

For example.. the best group I shot was with die 19. Now I'm not a fantastic shot or anything but I managed to put in a 20mm group at 55 yards - and I'm pretty happy with that.

But... a 20mm group at 55 yards is still 1.37 MoA - which in the big scheme of things isn't considered to be a very impressive group size. A decent air gun with a decent pilot driving it should be more than capable of sub MoA groups. I've even heard of people putting in sub MoA groups at 100 yards let alone 55. I'm not that good.

So there's a fair amount of error in my best group. How am I to know how much of the error is down to me, the wind or the pellets?

Then there's the psychological factor too. For example, when I was shooting my groups, my first shot at paper with die 19 I kid you not the pellet went smack bang in the centre of the bullseye! (well, maybe 1mm high of centre, but still bloody impressive all the same. The other pellets from die 19 did pretty well too I'd say - but did I do better with them because of my increased confidence as a result of the first shot?

Something I firmly believe about shooting is that a lot of it is in your head! (See my article 'Zen in the art of spring gun shooting'). In that if you take a shot and believe you're going to hit what you're aiming at, you stand a better chance of actually hitting it than if you don't believe you're going to hit it.

How else do you think Luke Skywalker was able to hit that exhaust port without his targeting computer?

And that brings me on nicely to your second question - now if only they got you to design the death star, you could have told them to put a block of wood over the exhaust port to stop some idiot shooting it with a proton torpedo

Last edited by Brian.Samson; 30th September 2013 at 11:37 PM.