View Single Post
Old 27th September 2013, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
Just to be pedantic, Thomas grace shot the NEFTA hunter and is 13.

BUT, i agree with what you are saying as he was the only Junior in the series which is really quite sad. I find it worse because NEFTA is one of the best regions (IMHO) for clubs and members. Normally on both FT and HFT courses there will be maybe 2 'gimme' targets that everyone should be able to get. It's all about finding the right balance of very hard, hard , tricky and gimme targets. we've had it before where a course has been set to be difficult and then the weather report was for high winds. The course setters decided to bring in a few targets only for the wind to not appear resulting in a shedload of very high scores. C'est la vie.

FT is a bit more restricted than HFT. For example at this years NEFTA series we had...
York- course was technical but with some partially covered kills/cage shots
Thorn Dell-course was downhill but with some partially covered kills/cage shots
Redfearns-not many mini kils and a relatively easyish course
Emley-old school technical with loads of reduced kills/tricky target placement.
Ponty-tricky positional shots with the odd obscured kill
Anston-old school HFT with a 50/50 split of easy/ very hard shots.

Every single one of those courses was different. That's very difficult to do with FT as it's expected to be able to get down on the cushion and clearly see the kill. Mind you i have to say that i have never shot a FT course that i would describe as boring...some can be a bit samey though with lane after lane of 55/45 yard targets. I've always thought that mini kills had no place in FT..BUT...if there are mini kills in the Euro and worlds comps then to keep your regions shooters competitive, you need to have them in your regions winter leagues.

Just to rewind a bit though onto the lack of Junior shooters. How do we reverse that?. The only way is to get publicity and start small with local rags. I know that it's not easy as i contacted all the local papers when Emley held the HFT Classic shoot in aid of a cancer charity, I even offered to write it and add a photo.

Not one replied
Chris you are most certainly not being pedantic mate i am more then happy to stand corrected.
That apart i like many others i'm sure will struggle bring to mind any single person or group of people who have done more than your good self to promote our sport amongst the youngsters .
As you rightly say mate ,the local press around the country seem to be as one in their anti gun stance,
probably from father to son is about the only realistic route left .