View Single Post
Old 21st September 2013, 07:07 AM
Allowed in Sales
Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Originally Posted by Waelwulfas View Post
ntil the law is amended there is no possible way of measuring an air weapon's barrel under this legislation.
There's only two ways a law can be updated, either by an act of parliament or by judicial ruling at a high enough court (crown court isn't high enough to set a precedent although a ruling in crown court could be used as guidance)

An act of parliament would be a really bad thing for shooters, because I suspect it would be used to impose further restrictions rather than just adding clarity. And going to the high court could potentially see someone getting stung with a 5 stretch.

So no matter who you ask on this one, all you're ever going to get is an opinion, you won't get a definitive answer.

I guess this is going to be a bit like the 12.1 fpe situation (albeit much more serious because we're talking about a Section 5 prohibited firearm).

I've heard of a handful of cases where the Police have seized guns doing just over 12fpe (one was a well known HFT shooter a few years back, in a situation that any of us could have found ourselves in worryingly). But I've never heard of anyone actually being taken to court over it.

I suspect (although I don't know for sure). That in such cases the Police/CPS will offer the option of having the gun destroyed or risking court action and the reason I've never heard of an edge case going to court is that everyone goes for the deal rather than taking the risk.

Personally I'd be a bit concerned if I owned a gun falling into the 30/60 category and would consider mitigating my risk by selling it on - in the same way that I run my guns well under power to reduce the risk of being in possession of a slightly overpower air gun.

I haven't double checked but isn't there a similar situation with semi-automatic air guns too?
There's an old crossman pistol that's semi-automatic and also the Styer LP10 that's semi-auto. I guess you'd be at risk if you owned one of those too, but no one seems to be bothered too much.

I guess it all comes down to how much risk you want to take. Personally (and I'm not trying to be a scare monger here). I prefer not to take a risk I don't have to take.