View Single Post
Old 18th September 2013, 01:28 PM
Stoopit forriner.

Originally Posted by Lol Moore View Post
Is it the elevation mechanism that moves so that you range in the normal way and get the correct range but when you dial in the correct number of clicks the point of aim moves to the wrong spot
If you would suspect that this might be a problem: there's an easy test you can do yourself.
  1. Take a fairly large paper target at short range, say, 8 yards, and fire off three shots. Start at your zero position for 8 yards somewhere at the top left. This will be your aim point for the entire excercise.
  2. Then, dial all the way through your range up to where you come off highest (somewhere in between 20 and 30 yards I suspect), and shoot three times, aiming at the same point.
  3. Now dial a full turn to the right, shoot three times, again aiming at the same point.
  4. Now dial the elevation turret back to 9 yards, leaving the windage turret untouched. Fire three shots, still aming at the aim point mentioned in step 1.
  5. Lastly, dial the windage turret back to the left a full turn, and fire off a shot.
If your turrets work well, you should now be back to exactly where you started, and the four groups you shot should form a nice square.

I've done this with all scopes my wife and I have or have had, and there was only one that malperformed - a very crummy 4x20 scope. All others (more than a handful of Swifts, a Falcon, two BSA Platinums, a BSA 8-32x44, and an Optisan El Cheapo 3-9x42) stood the test with flying colours.
The Filthy Pig: Air Arms 100 (1990) + AA Olympic trigger + Welham reg + Custom Shop CS1000 stock. Status: leaking.
The Unknown Quantity: AA EV2 Mk4. + BSA Platinum 10-50x60 + Jon Harris wheel. Status: sorted up to 25 yds.
The Limping Dog: Air Arms Shamal (1989) + unknown origin sporter stock + Optisan Cobra 3-9x42. Status: slowly leaking; needs work.
The Ox: HW97k + Venom Lazaglide. Status: working just fine; needs scope.
with apologies to NJR100